Priorities and Recommendations
- Create or build on existing key programs that provide financial stability: congenital heart, fetal surgery, oncology, gastroenterology and cardiology.
- Capitalize on existing clinical and research strengths at UNC with the creation of a multidisciplinary UNC Children’s Respiratory Institute, which would include specialists from pulmonology, allergy/immunology and the N.C. Children’s Airway Center and would focus on conditions such as cystic fibrosis and asthma.
- Meet market needs in areas of obesity and diabetes, both of which are fast-growing in our pediatric population.
- Ensure that the services needed to support the above-mentioned programs are robust and receiving needed resources: surgery, ENT, neonatology, respiratory therapy, sedation, palliative care, critical care, infectious disease.
- Shift organizational structure from a mostly “horizontal” model (where services such as pharmacy, radiology, nutrition and others are aligned across all parts of the Health Care System) to a mostly “vertical” model focused on child health care. This structure can be accomplished by aligning all services and providers that treat infants and children under one leadership dyad.
- Infants and children require care that is unique from the care provided to adults. Ensure that the patients receive this care at all times by putting into place 24/7 operating models for both the Pediatric Emergency Department and Pediatric Pharmacy.
- Increase access to care at our outpatient clinics through a centralized scheduling office, as well as our inpatient beds through an “open access” model. Expand the current Diagnostic Clinic to offload less complex patients from pediatric subspecialists, thereby reducing the waiting time for the third available appointment.
- Grow our statewide and regional presence in key subspecialties, such as asthma, allergy, developmental and behavioral health, endocrinology, gastroenterology and surgery.
- Pursue strengthened relationship with community practices in the region.
After much thoughtful discussion, the Steering Committee created a set of recommendations of short and long term priorities. The Committee recognizes the need to focus on overall capacity and support programs going forward in order to ensure the appropriate infrastructure is in place for these programs.
|Short Term Recommendations
||Long Term Recommendations
Congenital heart, fetal surgery, cardiology, oncology, gastroenterology
UNC Children’s Respiratory Institute