Newborn Critical Care Center
UNC's Newborn Critical Care Center is a high-tech, 58-bed facility. It is located on the 4th floor of North Carolina Children's Hospital and served by 11 board-certified attending neonatologists, 18 nurse practitioners, and more than 150 neonatal specialists. The care provided by this core team is complemented by a larger, multidisciplinary team of clinicians from N.C. Children's Hospital, which includes social workers, pediatric pharmacists, respiratory care practitioners, dietitians, and physical and occupational therapists. Since many health care professionals are involved in treating your child, you may want to refer to our Glossary of Pediatric Clinicians to better understand their individual roles.
Our health care practitioners diagnose and treat about 750 newborns from more than 50 counties throughout North Carolina each year. More than two-thirds of the 750 newborns admitted to the NCCC annually are born at North Carolina Women's Hospital, just a corridor away from the NCCC. The remainder is transported by the Pediatric Transport Team, part of Carolina Air Care, to our hospital.
Inpatient Parent Care Hours
Parents are encouraged to spend as much time as possible with their infants when they are patients in the Newborn Critical Care Center (NCCC). This will foster information sharing and allow you to participate in the care of your baby. Our social workers can help you with transportation, work release and housing if needed. Only two people can be at the bedside at any time due to space constraints and infection control concerns. Ask the nurse caring for your baby if you have questions about being at your baby's bedside.
NCCC Contact Information
The phone number for the nursing station in the NCCC is 984-974-3481. A toll-free number is given to parents of patients in the NCCC.
NCCC Family Advisory Board
The Family Advisory Board is comprised of members who have had one or more children in the Newborn Critical Care Center. They educate staff, attend community events and offer support to other families.
Ongoing Family Meetings, Events, and Activities
Always striving to keep the patient and family at the center of the health care team, the Newborn Critical Care Center works with resources and providers throughout UNC Hospitals and the larger community to offer a variety of ongoing activities to keep our babies' families engaged and feeling supported.
Children's Hospital Family Lunch
- Every Monday at noon, 7th Floor of N.C. Children's Hospital in the Parent Resource room NCCC Parent Education Hour with lunch provided
– Offered on Tuesdays, 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., NCCC Conference room on the 4th floor of N.C. Children's Hospital
– Led by guest speakers
– Sponsored by March of Dimes NICU Family Support and the MeFine Foundation
Children’s Hospital Parents’ Night Out
– Every Tuesday, 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., 6th Floor of N.C. Children's Hospital in the conference room
– Hosted by Hospital Volunteers
– Sponsored by the UNC Dance Marathon NCCC Craft Activity
– Every Wednesday, 10am-12pm
– Led by Family Support Coordinators
– Sponsored by GCF Family Support Services and March of Dimes NICU Family Support Children’s Hospital Thursday Evening Pizza Night
– Every Thursday, 5:00 to 5:45pm., 7th Floor of N.C. Children’s Hospital in the Ronald McDonald House Family Room
– Hosted by the Hospital Volunteers
– Sponsored by the Hospital Volunteer Association NCCC Parent Support Lunch
– Every Friday, 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., NCCC Family Waiting room on the 4th floor of N.C. Children's Hospital
– Led by the NCCC Family Support Team
– Sponsored by the NCCC and UNC Hospitals Volunteer Association Children’s Hospital Friday Family Brunch
– Every Friday, 11:30 a.m. -12:30 a.m., 7th Floor of N.C. Children’s Hospital in the Family Resource Room
– Hosted by the Hospital Volunteers
– Sponsored by the Hospital Volunteer Association Free Infant CPR and Car Seat Safety Class
– Offered twice a month, NCCC Classroom on the 4th floor of N.C Children’s Hospital