Resources for Patients, Families, Allies
- LGBT Center of Durham - https://www.lgbtqcenterofdurham.org/
Mission Statement: We are committed to improving the quality of life for LGBTQ+ people in and around Durham, through programming, resources, and networks of support, by acting as a hub for Durham’s LGBTQ+ community, by sharing and affirming all LGBTQ+ lived experiences; and, by educating our neighbors in order to enhance understanding of and sensitivity to LGBTQ+ issues.
- LGBT Center of Raleigh - https://www.lgbtcenterofraleigh.com/
Mission Statement: To strengthen individual and community development through social and educational activities; to facilitate the incubation of supportive services and groups; and to identify needs and advocate for resources benefiting the diverse population of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, their friends and supporters within and beyond central North Carolina.
- Triangle PFLAG - www.pflagtriangle.org
The Triangle Chapter of Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) has a mission to support families, allies, and LGBTQ people, educate ourselves and others, and advocate for equality in our community.
- iNSIDEoUT - http://www.insideout180.org/
iNSIDEoUT is a youth-founded, youth-led organization that provides leadership opportunities & a safe space for North Carolina's LGBTQISA-queer youth, both in & out of schools. By providing educational-, social-, & activism-oriented programs, iNSIDEoUT strives to form, strengthen, & network Gay-Straight Alliances while connecting & empowering youth, seeking to expand beyond the Triangle.
- QueerNC - http://queernc.org/
QueerNC aims to connect youth in rural and urban areas of NC by providing a safe space both online and in person for teens to talk about their ideas, find resources, and get help with problems that they’re facing. We educate teens on current LGBTQ community issues and empower youth to create change in their own communities. We also hold monthly meetups in the Triangle area.
- Safe Schools NC - https://www.safeschoolsnc.org/
Safe Schools NC is a statewide non-profit organization dedicated to creating a safe and positive learning environment for all students and educators in North Carolina, with an emphasis on actual or perceived sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
- QORDS - http://qords.org/
A summer camp experience for Southern queer and trans youth.
- The Trevor Project: 1-866-488-7386 or go to www.thetrevorproject.org/
The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- GLBT National Hotline - 1-888-THE-GLNH (888-843-4564) or go to https://www.glbthotline.org/
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) National Hotline provides telephone, online private one-to-one chat and email peer-support, as well as factual information and local resources for cities and towns across the United States.
- LGBT National Youth Talkline: 1-800-246-PRIDE (800-246-7743)
- HopeLine: A 24 Hour Youth Crisis Line: 919-231-4525
- It Gets Better Project - http://www.itgetsbetter.org/
The It Gets Better Project exists to uplift, empower, and connect LGBTQ+ youth around the globe.
- LGBT Friendly Emergency Youth Housing:
Haven House Services: www.havenhousenc.org
Raleigh-Wrenn House: 919-832-7866
- Gender Spectrum - https://www.genderspectrum.org/
Gender Spectrum provides education, training and support to help create a gender sensitive and inclusive environment for all children and teens. Website provides a number of excellent resources and information.
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) - http://www.hrc.org/resources/topic/transgender
Transgender Children & Youth: Understanding the Basics - https://www.hrc.org/resources/transgender-children-and-youth-understanding-the-basics
- The Know and Love Project - www.knowandlove.org
The Know and Love Project aims to present stories of loving and committed North Carolina families with gay and lesbian members in order to raise awareness and increase public support for the equal rights of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) people in North Carolina and across the nation.
- LGBT Youth Resources from the CDC - https://www.cdc.gov/lgbthealth/youth-resources.htm
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Website contains many resources for LGBT youth, friends/supporters, educators and school administrators, and parents/guardians/family members.
- GLAAD Transgender Resources - https://www.glaad.org/transgender/resources
GLAAD works through entertainment, news, and digital media to share stories from the LGBTQ community that accelerate acceptance.
- Trans Youth Equality Foundation (TYEF) - http://www.transyouthequality.org/
The Trans Youth Equality Foundation provides education, advocacy and support for transgender and gender non-conforming children and youth and their families. Our mission is to share information about the unique needs of this community, partnering with families, educators and service providers to help foster a healthy, caring, and safe environment for all transgender children.
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) - http://www.transequality.org/
The National Center for Transgender Equality is a national social justice organization devoted to ending discrimination and violence against transgender people through education and advocacy on national issues of importance to transgender people. By empowering transgender people and our allies to educate and influence policymakers and others, NCTE facilitates a strong and clear voice for transgender equality in our nation's capital and around the country.
- Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER) - http://www.transstudent.org/
Trans Student Educational Resources is a youth-led organization dedicated to transforming the educational environment for trans and gender nonconforming students through advocacy and empowerment. They have a focus on creating a more trans-friendly education system, as well as a mission to educate the public and teach trans activists how to be effective organizers.
- TransYouth Family Allies (TYFA) - http://www.imatyfa.org/
TYFA empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities, to develop supportive environments in which gender may be expressed and respected.
- Protecting the Rights of Transgender Parents and their Children – A Guide for Parents and Lawyers