Our team of child life specialists at UNC work with patients and families to improve their overall health care experience. Using appropriate teaching tools, we help prepare children and their families for upcoming health care experiences and life-altering events. We build relationships with our patients and their families, and provide support based on individual needs. We use evidence-based interventions including therapeutic play, psychological preparation for procedures and coaching through medical experiences. Our services are available to all families at the North Carolina Children’s Hospital.
What Services Do Child Life Specialists Offer?
- Preparation and support before, during, and after medical procedures
- Pain-management techniques
- Emergency and trauma-related support
- Medical and recreational play
- Kid-friendly explanation of medical terminology
- Education on coping skills
- Tours before surgery upon request
Where Do Child Life Specialists work at UNC?
Child Life works in all areas of the hospital, including the following specialty areas:
- Emergency Department
- Hematology/Oncology Clinic
- Inpatient Pediatric Floors
- North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Newborn Critical Care Center
- Children’s Specialty Clinic
- Pre-operative Support and Pediatric Sedation
- Other areas upon request