N.C. Children’s Hospital is the clinical home of UNC Children's. The state-of-the art facility opened in late 2001 and has 150 inpatient beds, including:
In addition, the hospital has an 8-bed Children’s Short Stay Unit has for children requiring less than 24 hours of inpatient care. The hospital houses expanded radiology services for both children and adults, as well as a pathology laboratory, pharmacy, and outpatient physical / occupational therapy services, among others.
All inpatient unit rooms are private, featuring bathrooms with tubs and showers and convertible sofas to accommodate parents staying with their child, while specialty-units offer family sleep rooms.
Inpatients and their families have access to supervised play facilities where children can relieve the stress associated with hospitalization, including:
- Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation Robbie Page Play Atrium – A two-story, indoor park for young children. Located on 7 Children's.
- Jason Clark Teen Activity Center – A retreat for our older patients, offering several video gaming systems, a kitchen, and arcade-style entertainment such as air hockey and pool tables. Located on 7 Children's.
- Charles Goren Music Room – A special room equipped with musical instruments and related equipment. Located inside the play atrium on 7 Children's.
- Alan Davis Stiles, MD, Lookout Terrace – An outdoor, rooftop recreational area themed after North Carolina’s natural features, from mountains to coast. Located on 7 Children's.
- Ronald McDonald Family Room – A cozy retreat offering families a private escape from the stress that comes from being at the hospital for days, even months, on end. Located on 7 Children's.
- NHL Lion’s Den Legacy Classroom – A fun and educational high-tech classroom gifted to our patients and families by the National Hockey League and hockey Hall of Famer Pat LaFontaine’s Companions in Courage Foundation. Located on 5 Children's.
- Family Resource Rooms – Special rooms featuring printed material, instructional videos and an Internet-connected computers for online information searches.
The Children’s Hospital also offers a state-accredited Hospital School for children in grades K-12, helping kids keep up with their studies during hospital stays.
The Broyhill Children’s Chapel is located on ground floor of N.C. Memorial Hospital, right next to the Cranberry Corner gift shop. The children’s chapel has floor-to-ceiling windows, a sky light, and comfortable bench seating. You’ll find a prayer book where petitions and intercessions may be left for a chaplain to pray over and many other resources. Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Learn more about our pastoral care and chaplain services.