The Charles Goren Music Room
The Music Room affords N.C. Children's Hospital patients and their families an opportunity to express themselves or continue their interest in playing musical instruments while in the hospital. The Music Room is supervised by Recreational Therapy and Child Life. It is located off of the Play Atrium on the seventh floor of N.C. Children’s Hospital.
The equipment in this room also aids in the healing process by allowing self-expression. With the supervision of a full-time Senior Child Life Specialist and a part-time music therapist, children can create music CDs or individualized relaxation, hypnosis, story or guided imagery tapes to assist in the management of pain, stress or anxiety.
Features of the Music Room:
- A CD & G karaoke machine
- A digital recording studio
- A teaching keyboard
- Digital and conga drums
- Game systems for music-related games
- A guitar and a wide assortment of rhythm instruments
Hours of Operation:
Monday-Friday: 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
6 p.m. – 7 p.m.
Saturday- Sunday: 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
General Rules and Requirements:
- The Music Room is open to all ages.
- Siblings, family and friends of patients are welcome to join patients in the Charles Goren Music Room.
- All visitors under 18 years of age must obtain a blue clearance sticker from the nurse’s station of the patient you are visiting.
- Patients must have a green Off Unit sticker before leaving the floor.
- Parents and other adult visitors must have a visitor’s pass obtained from the Main Lobby, or ground floor of the hospital.
- Patients on contact or protective precautions, may contact our staff to arrange one-to-one visits to the facility when available.
- Recreational Therapy and Child life may only provide resources for in-room play for patients on enteric, airbourne and droplet precautions.
- Visitors of patients on contact, enteric, airbourne, and droplet precautions CANNOT visit the Music Room after being in the patient’s room. Please come before you visit the patient.